Sunday, October 30, 2011

Big Remission Milestone

Hello again blogaverse! No, I haven't forgotten about you. My focus has been elsewhere, though cancer Survivor is still how first define myself. I'm hoping that one day that will shift, but it's one of those things that just takes time.

A couple of weeks ago I went for my 1 year post treatment CT scan and check up. I've been meaning to blog about it since, really I have... Honest. Fantastic news!! The CT scan showed No Evidence of Disease!! My smear came back 'within normal limits'. I was a bit surprised that there's anything left in there to 'smear' but whatever. My blood work all looks great. I'm deeply thankful and relieved to more into a full year of Remission.

November 11 will be the 1 full year of Remission anniversary. It seems unreal that a whole year has gone by already. My family and I have celebrated many little cancerversaries. Three months post chemo, six months, 10 months. Hair re-growth. Being able to exercise with the most awesome fitness instructor ever- Cathe Friedrich. Being able to eat normally again without everything tasting like a salt mine. Losing 20 pounds. Being there for my Peeps' birthdays. Walking in the Relay for Life with one of my sisters.

Tomorrow is a big day in the life of Survivor. I'm having my port a cath removed. I'll be glad to get it out of my body so I can comfortably sleep on my right side and the sweet smelling heads of my Peeps can snuggle up with me without causing pain at the same time.

This is a big deal because it means that my gynecologic oncologist believes that I'm deep enough into Remission that I no longer need it. While I completely understand that there are no guarantees this minor surgery feels like hope solidifying. My thankfulness continues to grow.

As thankful and relieved as I am to be adding to my days in  Remission, my heart goes out to my friends who are continuing to fight or have begun their second or third fight. My sweet friend, and fellow Cathlete, Virginia especially would benefit from you prayers and positive energy.

Post surgery update to come in a day or so...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment