Wednesday, June 1, 2011

5 Years Ago I Fell in Love

Five years ago today my baby sister, Sally, gave life to Zoey Marie. Zoey was the first of three adorable girls of my family and has brought a beautiful richness to all of our lives.

My 'baby's sister Sally with newborn Zoey.
 Little did I know 5 years ago that Zoey would be as much MY daughter as Sally's, or that I could love another person SO much. In the early months of Zoey's life I was blessed to care for her and 'mother' her while Sally was in college. That was as close to being a real Mommy as I would ever get, but I didn't know that at the time. Those precious months with Zoey filled a space in my heart and soul, and gave me the strength to make right-for-me choice to have a hysterectomy at 33 years old as cancer #1's treatment. I have loved that beautiful sweet angel, my Sweet Pea, from the moment I saw her. 

Me and newborn Zoey.


My other sister, Heidi, was a third mommy to Zoey. She's gone on to become Mommy to two of her own beautiful angels- Kallie and JJ. (More on this tomorrow, which is another very special day... )

Nana and Zoey have a special bond, too. Still do and always will. 


Happy 5th Birthday, Sweet Pea!! 
I couldn't love you more, and I'm so proud of the sweet and tender hearted young lady that you are today. I love being hair twins with you right now! 

Zoey and me at the park in Austin, TX about a month ago.
 All the girls in my family are celebrating Zoey's birthday with a special lunch at Chik-fil-a then the little girls will get their first spa treatments. It's sure to be a special, fun, and memorable day. This evening Zoey's family and friends will gather at Nana's to celebrate. An awesome 5th birthday day for my Sweet Pea, and I'm very thankful to alive and healthy to be a part of it. 

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! I love it. Zoey looks like you, it's insane how much. :-)

    I'm looking forward to seeing you tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leah! It was great to see you.

    ReplyDelete